Far and Away
There are two great powers who cast long shadows over the whole Trojan Reach – the Third Imperium and the Aslan Hierate. A pirate ship’s standing with these two powers determines how
they react to the pirate’s activities. Both sides are willing to ignore minor acts of larceny and extortion as long as it does not impact the fl ow of trade, and both sides are secretly in
favour of attacks upon the other by pirates – the fewer Aslan merchants in space, the more likely the Imperium is to dominate the trade routes, and vice versa. However, if the pirates are too brazen and their standing drops too far, the Imperial powers will respond with violence.
Standing with the Imperium starts at 0; Standing with the Aslan Hierate starts at -5.
- Stealing Cargo: -1 per incident in which more than Cr. 100,000 is stolen.
- Per Infamous Incident: -1d6 for incidents where the pirates steal a large amount of cargo, capture ships, and otherwise ‘rock the boat’.
- Per Atrocity: -1d6 for incidents where the pirates destroy ships, murder prisoners or otherwise breach the code of the stars.
- Per Interference: -1d6 for incidents where the pirates attack Imperial scoutships, couriers or registered convoys, damage starports or refuelling stations, or otherwise interfere with the
fl ow of trade.
- Per Heroic Deed: +1d6 for attacking pirates or inflicting significant damage on the other Imperial power.
- Per Month Elapsed Without Incident: Over time, standing tends towards its starting point. A crew’s standing moves one point towards its starting position (0/-5) after each month in
which the pirates do nothing of consequence.
Effects of Standing
|20+|| Ally: The pirates are rewarded for their heroic
efforts. All ports belonging to the Imperial power
are now Friendly, and the pirates gain +2 Social
Standing within the Imperial power’s territory.
|6 to 20|| Tolerated: The Imperial power is willing to overlook
the pirate’s excesses. All ports belonging to that
power are now Tolerant of that pirate.
|-5 to +5||Ignored: No effect.|
|-6 to -20|| Irritant: A bounty is placed on the pirate’s head of
-1d6 x 1,000 cr x the pirate’s Standing.
|-21 to -40|| Infamy: A patrol is dispatched to hunt down trouble
in the reach, including the pirate menace.
|-40+|| Enemy of the State! The pirate is hounded by agents
of the Imperial power, ranging from assassins to
naval ships. The attitude of any ports not already Friendly or better drops by one level